Thursday, November 09, 2006

 
Life Lessons

My own children are all nearly grown and out of the house. I can not tell you the number of tears I have shed, feeling my cherished role as their parent was coming to an end. I was wrong; I have learned from my dear MIL that a parents' influence lives on in the hearts of her children long after they become adults! As I have watched my MIL go through the health crisis of the past six weeks, I have seen the impact she still has on the lives of those she loves. Decades have passed since her last baby left the nest and still, as we stood by her bedside, we continue to learn some mighty important life lessons.

We have observed and been challenged by her persistent faith. From the first moment she lay, nearly unconscious in her bed at the Cardiac Care Intensive Care Unit, Sally could be seen making the sign of the Cross, with her lips quietly moving. Taking the hand of a grandchild who came to visit, this desperately frail Grandmother looked into the eyes of her strapping 6'4" grandson and told him confidently, in barely an audible whisper, how much she loved him, letting him know that she prayed for him, and all of her family, each and every day. At a time she felt she could not fight any longer, she lovingly called her oldest daughter into the room, asking her to pray with her; asking that all of her children pray that God would take her home. When others may whine and protest, Sally prays! One cannot be in the same room with Sally and not be aware of her love for and trust in her God.

We have been amazed by her strength of will. Sally does not waste any time feeling sorry for herself; rather, she accepts what is before her and musters up the strength necessary to meet it's demands. Each challenge she has endured has been met head-on. This really is no surprise; for when her beloved husband died twenty-six years ago, Sally was widowed at the age of 57, mother to eight, and sole owner of the family farm. Somehow, in the midst of great sorrow, Sally moved forward with grace and strength. Ralph Waldo Emerson has said, "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." No matter the circumstance, the loss of a husband or a near-death experience, Sally exemplifies, with grace and determination, an ideal for all to aspire. We all continue to be blessed by "what is within" this dear woman.

Sally will be leaving the Assisted Living Facility on December 1st; she has given her 30 day notice. At 83 years old, Sally continues to set a goal and reach it! Surviving a massive heart attack may permit some seniors to kick back and take it easy. True to form, Sally's determination kicks in and she is doing the hard work of returning to fully, independent living. When asked if she thought she should work with the physical therapist on using a cane; she replied, "Oh no. I won't be going home with a cane or a walker!" Clear minded, she has thought through all of the immediate concerns of her return home. She has set a reasonable goal and is making it happen. There's a life lesson for anyone!

What life lessons have you learned from Sally? For those of you who have known Sally even longer than I, please post a comment (without a blog? post anonymously) and we will be sure to get this post to her. How about the grandkids? What have you learned from Grandma Sally? Let's bless Grandma Sally by telling her how much we have been blessed by her living legacy!

Comments:
What an amazing lady! Her story has blessed me. I can't fathom raising 8 children WITH a husband, much less alone at an age younger than I am now. She is indeed an inspiration.
 
Grandma Sally,

I have learned from Grandma Sally:

That it is fun to play Bingo.

That it is better to have dogs outside than inside.

That coffee tastes better with cream.

That you should always try Grandma's food, no matter how gross it looks, cuz it's really amazing! (Christmas Sausage)

That you should never take a joke to far with an elderly woman! (Never, never tell her that your brother was run over by a tractor!)

That being part of a big family is cool.

I love you Grandma Sally.

Sam
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Life Lessons learned from Grandma Sally:
-A smile and a laugh go a long way
- Playing cards & Bingo make for excellent hobbies and are great ways to spend time with family and friends
- Having faith and trusting in the Lord to watch over us helps us make it through every day
- Family is so important...and having a big one makes it so much more fun.
- ENJOY LIFE!

I love you Grandma. I am so blessed to have you in my life!

Melissa
 
Keeping informed of Sally's amazing story has made me aware that when you center yourself to receive whatever God has for you, awesome things happen. As she was ready for the glories of heaven, God gave her more time on this earth and her children "...rise up and call her blessed" When she realized that her request for a heavenly transfer was temporarily denied, she strengthened and pushed whole-heartedly into the business of living in this world.
What an outstanding testimony to us all!
 
Grandma :)

I learned from grandma the "forbid" means way more than don't do! I learned from grandma that seniors really do have fun!Also i learned that to be in the house early is (SURRISE TO ME?) a good thing rather then a bad thing :)
love ya Grandma
 
Grandma Sally,
Since the first time I met you, YOU told me that you loved me. At the time I didn't understand how someone I just met could say that, But now that I have been part of your great family for 20some years I understand that the love you have given and taught your children to give is real and the best kind of love. I have realized many years ago what a great rock you have been to your family and without that rock your family would not have learned to open their hearts and let me in. I thank God Every day for giving me the best family anyone could ever ask for. And for having the best grandma in the whole world! I love you very much!

love Diana
 
Grandma Sally,

I have learned so many things from you and have such great memories of things we have done together.

I remember coming to visit you many times and playing cards (500, kings corner, and golf). Those were fun times. I also remember going to play bingo with you in St. Cloud. It was so much fun to get to go with you because ever since I can remember you have always talked about how much fun it is to play bingo.

Most recently I remember visiting you and looking at your old photo albums. That was a great time! You had such great stories to go with the pictures. I got to learn a lot about your life experiences and people that I never got the chance to meet.

I feel really blessed to have such wonderful memories of the times we shared. I look forward to many more fun times we will share. I love you Grandma!

Jennifer
 
What I learned from Grandma Sally...there is so much!

Ilearned that when Grandma says to be in by 8 pm, she really means 6:30 pm and she can and WILL run through the neighborhood screaming your name until she finds you! :-)

I learned that when Grandma walks in and see's her huge Christmas present and says "Wow, I wonder what is in there!" she doesn't really want you to tell her before she opens it! :-)

Most importantly, I learned to say "I love you" everyday and cherish each and every one of my family members. Grandma, you are so important to all of us and we all love you so much! I couldn't ask for a more wonderful grandmother. There really aren't words to explain how important you are in all of our lives.

I LOVE YOU!
 
Hello,
I just happened upon your blog following interesting links from an Ultimate Blog Party participant. I just want to join in the wishes of all of you. I was touched by grandma Sally's faith and joie de vivre. I pray that God shows us how to appreciate and enjoy the presence of loved ones.
God bless your family.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?